Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Cubs on the Move

Hi! I am the new Serena research assistant. I have been out in the Mara for a bit over a month now. A few days ago when Julie and I were heading back to camp, we came across these three in the middle of the road.  





Sherman was moving her two cubs, Rocket and Astro, from Schiphol Den to DeGaulle Den. As the cubs meandered across the road and snapped at grass stalks, Sherman patiently waited for them and slowly guided her easily distracted cubs towards their new den. The last few meters proved a little too exciting, and Sherman carefully picked up one cub and deposited him in the den hole. When we left, Sherman was curled up nursing Rocket and Astro.


3 comments:

dee said...

Poor Sherm, herding cats, I'm sure she's up to the task. Please keep us posted.

laurenajenkinshoffmeyer.com said...

It was a great pleasure to meet a fellow Spartan Lilly while staying at the Mara Serena March 11th. When our driver mentioned we were Spartans, she wanted to meet us. Had a very informative discussion about the project. I took many photos of those cute cubs. Have a great photo of Lilly with us but not sure how to post it. Thanks Lilly.

Lily J-U said...

Hi, my email address is phantomtigre@gmail.com if you want to get in touch with me. I had a great time talking about hyenas with you!


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science